World Health Day: Be Proactive About Your Health to Fight Diabetes
World Health Day is coming up on April 7th, 2016. This year the World Health Organization is focusing on increasing awareness about the rise in diabetes. Find out what you can do to help fight diabetes.
Most people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes, which is largely preventable. These simple lifestyle habits can significantly reduce your risk of developing diabetes:
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Be physically active. Get at least 30 minutes of regular, moderate-intensity activity 5 days a week.
- Eat a healthy diet of between 3 and 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day to reduce sugar and saturated fats intake
- Avoid tobacco use – smoking increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Healthy Lifestyle Changes
We created Belty Good Vibes to help people live better. We know it can be difficult to make time for your health. Belty learns your rhythm and habits and helps you introduce easy changes into your day. These small steps make a big difference to your health. Learn more here.
- About 350 million people worldwide have diabetes. This number is likely to more than double in the next 20 years.
- In 2012, diabetes was the direct cause of 1.5 million deaths. More than 80% of diabetes deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries.
- Type 2 accounts for around 90% of all diabetes worldwide. Reports of type 2 diabetes in children have increased worldwide.
Full diabetes fact sheet here: