Stop Diet Hopping and Start Practicing Sensible Eating

Posted by in Tip of the week

With so many diet trends and a new ‘superfood’ emerging every few months, it’s hard to ignore the temptation to see what all the fuss is about. People have become obsessed with jumping on the newest fad diet in an effort to drop weight and get healthy quick. Here’s why it’s a bad idea:

What is diet hopping?

There are hundreds of diets out there to choose from, each touting their own benefits. While it’s fine to try different diets and experiment to see what works for you, it’s dangerous to do that every month. If you jump from one diet to the next, never sticking to a nutrition plan for longer than a few weeks, you’re guilty of diet hopping. You might try a new diet, get tired of it and move on to the next diet fad.

Why is it bad for you?

The biggest reason so many diets fail is because they are too strict. They place unrealistic expectations on you and your eating habits. In fact, more and more studies are emerging that prove dieting actually causes weight gain in the long term. Fad diets also eliminate key nutrients that you body needs. Typically, fad diets have little to no carbs when the reality is they are an important part of everyone’s diet. The key thing to note is that not all carbs are created equal. Eating a bowl of processed cereal is much different than eating a sweet potato or rice. Quality, single ingredient carbs are what you want.

The diets that do work – sustainable, lifestyle diets – are ones that understand that health is about balance and small setbacks happen. Some call this the 80/20 rule. This means you eat quality food 80% of the time, but are allowed to slack off the other 20% of the time.

What does a good diet look like?

The best diet is one that you can stick to – for life. A diet that really works is one that first and foremost gets you and keeps you healthy. It is not some plan that you follow for a month in order to lose a ton of weight. If you can’t stick to your diet for the long term then that diet isn’t worth even trying. A good diet is actually a lifestyle plan that sets you up for lifelong health.

Next, the plan should give you tons of energy and make you feel amazing. Many diets don’t provide the basic nutrients you need. They leave you feeling tired, irritable constantly hungry. Plus, these diets do a great job at eating away at your hard earned muscle.

A solid nutrition plan will do the opposite. It will promote fat burning and lean muscle growth. You will be energized, focused and feel great.

You might like the following articles:

Boost Your Productivity: 5 Tips to Start Your Day Right

Five Unhealthy Lifestyle Habits and How to Break Them